Vegan Tres Leches Berry Parfaits
Vegan Tres Leches Berry Parfaits
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Servings: Makes 6 servings
- Select your preferred print size and click "Print Recipe":
- 3"x5" Cards
- 4"x6" Cards
- Full Page
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/8 cup dark rum or brandy
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Mexican vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lime peel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and lightly flour a cake pan (an 11-inch-by-8-inch square pan or 8-inch round cake pan).
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar together in a large bowl and set aside to curdle.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Briskly mix the canola oil, water, brandy, lemon juice, and vanilla extract into the soy milk mixture using a fork. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until the batter is free of lumps. Stir in the lime peel. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and turn out onto the wire rack. Let cool completely. Use a serrated knife to cut into 1-inch cubes.
For the Cinnamon Sauce:
1 carton sweetened MimicCreme (or 1 14-oz. can sweetened coconut milk)
1 14-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup hazelnut or almond milk, or vegan half-and-half
2 sticks cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Mexican vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the MimicCreme (or sweetened coconut milk), unsweetened coconut milk, nut milk (or half-and-half), and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
For the Coconut Whipped Topping:
1 can coconut cream, refrigerated (full-fat only)
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- Refrigerate the can of coconut cream ahead of time to make it firm. Scoop the coconut cream into a bowl and whip with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add the agave nectar and vanilla. Whip to combine.
3 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
3 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups fresh raspberries
1 serving Cinnamon Sauce, chilled
1 serving Coconut Whipped Topping
1/2 cup coconut, toasted (optional)
1 sprig fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Divide one-third of the cake cubes among eight individual glasses. Pour one-third of the Cinnamon Sauce over the cake cubes. Layer one-third of the mixed berries over the cake cubes. Repeat this layering process. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Before serving, top with the Coconut Whipped Topping. If desired, sprinkle with coconut and garnish with mint leaves.
Want a little extra flair for your dinner guests? Serve this dessert in traditional parfait glasses and garnish with a dollop of coconut whipped topping, a touch of toasted coconut, and fresh mint leaves. You can also substitute stone fruits, such as peaches and nectarines, for the berries in this recipe.
Written by Jessika Lauren